Bridge.

in my hand

threads liana

coast blue

the bodies of ephemeral

god’s eye;

my father holds my hand

by the rope of the bridge; it, in a sense,

is remote to me as a child;

in memory, it architects

a mist in mind,

orange light

flowers,

liana

white liana and fingers

threading my own

centered against the yellowed sun

and the light blue of the last sea

I saw;

white lines

fallen by the shoreline

echoed like a near dream

with father on the bridge

half rocks, ebon,

quietly that lay

and hatch onto

a summer sea.

I wrote this specifically for the dverse ninth year anniversary.

The prompt is this: “I want you to capture a moment in your verse. Clearly describe to us what is in that moment. Paint a picture for us with your words that will evoke our own emotions and experiences. If you need to, find a picture and write about it. Maybe you have a favorite photograph you want to share. If not, write us the picture, so we can see it, taste it, smell it.”

The memory I wrote about was with my father as a child, overlooking the beach and ocean on an old bridge. It is a memory that resurfaces quite a lot, something I hold dear to me as I recollect it each time. I do hope you enjoyed the read. Thank you so much.

44 comments for “Bridge.

1. July 14, 2020 at 6:43 pm

we spent many a summer at topsail island and i remember times with my family,
    the best times with my father were those camping in the woods, watching him tend fire,
    or he showing me how to do things. we did not always get along, but these were the best moments
    lots of nice imagery woven in there.

brian

• July 14, 2020 at 6:48 pm

That sounds like a nice memory and experience to have. Thank you for sharing and thank you for your kind words.

2. July 14, 2020 at 7:15 pm

You are blessed to have a pleasant memory like this to turn to when thinking of your father.

3. July 14, 2020 at 7:15 pm

I can hear the waves and smell the air… beautiful imagery. Thank you for sharing this moment with us!

4. July 14, 2020 at 8:36 pm

Love this in its abstractness.

• July 14, 2020 at 8:37 pm

So glad. Thank you very much!

5. July 14, 2020 at 9:36 pm

You captured that bonding time through the lens of love. Thanks for sharing.

• July 14, 2020 at 9:46 pm

Thank you. ❤️❤️

6. July 14, 2020 at 9:54 pm

I can see you holding tightly to your father’s hand. Amazing what stays with us as we age.

• July 14, 2020 at 10:45 pm

I’m so glad, and yes, definitely. Memories, even the smallest ones, can have so much meaning to them. Thank you for reading this piece. ❤

7. Sherry Marr
    July 14, 2020 at 10:42 pm

Wonderful how some moments stay etched do firmly in our memory. Beautiful.

• July 14, 2020 at 10:46 pm

Thank you so very much! 😊

8. Sherry Marr
    July 14, 2020 at 10:43 pm

So firmly. Smiles.

9. July 15, 2020 at 12:10 am

Beautiful

10. July 15, 2020 at 12:35 am

Only in retrospect, in writing, do you feel that time, the grains, have slipped away. Write and relive the good time.

• July 15, 2020 at 12:57 am

Yes, I feel that way here and there. It is always nice to relive the good times. Thank you for your insight and feedback. ❤

11. July 15, 2020 at 8:55 am

A perfect picture. I love the stillness of the scene created with so many details but perfectly motionless, exactly like a snapshot memory.

12. July 15, 2020 at 9:46 am

Yes. It felt like I was there, feeling it, too.

13. July 15, 2020 at 10:23 am

I’m surprised no one comments this, but perhaps not everyone is attentive. All of your poems contain, in one form or another, but often boldly, both fatherness and the sea. They are universal symbols to you, I find.
    What do these mean, to you? No individually, since I know what a father or a sea mean in their associative threads, but they are inextricable from one another to you, it seems, and I’d like to know why, if you wouldn’t mind elucidating me.

• July 15, 2020 at 12:02 pm

I’m quite surprised no one ever asked me this until now to be honest. I use that imagery a lot, I thought there would be someone curious about what I mean. I’m glad you were the first. 🙂

I’d be more than happy to explain. When I use these terms together, for instance, “Father’s ocean”, I visualize interchangeably a strong context.

Now, of course not every father is a strong father, but I use a type of subtext in that imagery to explicate how strong the connection of a father is, though as a word with broad meaning. I find a strong symbol in the term, father. A sort of grief that can encompass perhaps in wider terms, the microcosm and nature itself, especially as these aspects too play a large role in my poems.

I always think of it as a constituent of humanity, fossilized by a tempest.

The sea itself is strong. The waves can be deadly, and it’d be so easy to immerse yourself in the idea of the ocean and its personal symbiosis of man and nature.

I never do the sea justice as I implement this constant in nature in what I believe to be in a negative context like with grief or disenchantment. The sea can represent grief, sadness or tears. It can be disappointment, it can also be a way to describe one drowning figuratively in their mind.

Now there’s a loop. “Betrayed” by the ocean letting us drown, we drift back to humanity in complex thoughts. The first part of this in what I mean is about our mind betraying us with thoughts and memories.

Humanity is complex. We see many different facets of the same character, and we associate certain imageries with them. They stick and we can not always associate them with a different memory or impression unless truly impacted again.

I like to think that because of this memory I had with my father when I was young, it influenced me subconsciously to use the words “Father” and “Sea” interchangeably.

I hope this answers your question. I thank you above and beyond, JM, for reading this poem and for your delightful feedback. It’s always an absolute honor to converse with you about poetry. Thank you so very much.

14. July 15, 2020 at 10:34 am

I have very strong memories like this… my strongest one is when we went skiing in moonlight

• July 15, 2020 at 11:37 am

That sounds like a nice memory! It’s always the ones we never thought would mean so much until we relive them again in our minds.

15. Rhen Laird
    July 15, 2020 at 5:01 pm

This is exquisitely beautiful…makes me weepy.

16. July 15, 2020 at 6:12 pm

This is hauntingly exquisite, such a loving tribute and a lovely memory to rerun

17. July 16, 2020 at 11:15 pm

Reblogged this on By the Mighty Mumford and commented:

great stuff–so what is “liana”-?

• July 16, 2020 at 11:29 pm

Thanks!

It’s a plant that hangs from trees in a forest. The area I was at was an odd one, if I’m remembering it right. It had a beach and a region that looked like a forest before it.

18. February 21, 2021 at 5:43 pm

Reblogged this on johncoyote and commented:

Amazing poetry shared by a talented writer.

19. February 21, 2021 at 5:45 pm

The sea. My favorite place to be. I am far away from the sea. I do have the great lakes. Dear Lucy. I love your work today and hello from Michigan.