who are we?

evolve

e v o l v e

the lithology of the cortex

and the humanity

of posy flowers like bones,

we are nothing if not

and the blue iris

petaled

onto each white finger

of mine,

to the carcass

of a paintbrush

renaissance; Vitruvian; then who are we

molars of the tree bones

and wild plants,

cawing in the deaths

of the flowers; man of fate, who are we?

Written for today’s dVerse prompt: “Write a poem that explores revolution in some way. My aim is not to be particularly political. You can write about historical or modern revolutionary movements, but you can also write about the revolution of celestial bodies, or you can discuss revolving motion in some way. You can also use a painting as inspiration. Perhaps start your own poetic revolution or invent a revolutionary new poetic form!”

I indulged myself to the Renaissance Period, Leonardo Da Vinci’s Vitruvian Man, and the revolution of the planets. The main concept I had in mind for this poem is what constitutes or makes us who we are as we evolve; it revolves around these different periods of humanity and thus, time.

Hope you enjoyed the read. I thank you dearly.

39 comments for “who are we?

1. July 21, 2020 at 4:20 pm

An intriguing prompt, but I LOVE the perspective you took on it. So well-written, inviting, and thought-provoking

2. July 21, 2020 at 4:23 pm

Thank you for sharing, Lucy. I’m not sure that I totally understand, but there are some interesting phrases–love molar of the tree bones!

• July 21, 2020 at 4:37 pm

I’d like to say at times, when I write, it’s a random stream of consciousness. Sometimes, I don’t even understand exactly what I come up with in my imagery. I get inspired by different things and coin these weird phrases, hahaha.

This poem, as a whole, is about the different periods of time. From planets revolving, to those who left an impact in the world to remember by, to artists, to plants and nature–there is always an impact that changes who we are over time. Our understanding evolves, and thus starts the revolution.

I thank you so much for your wonderful feedback. So glad you enjoyed reading this piece! 😀

3. July 21, 2020 at 4:52 pm

I like the sound of the lithology of the cortex. It feels like a skeleton of thought, or thoughts ossifying over time. Very interesting imagery also!

• July 21, 2020 at 4:55 pm

Thank you! Regarding those few lines, you are pretty correct on what it signifies. When writing it, I was thinking what makes who we are down to our functions and thoughts; and how they can as well change over time.

Thank you so much for reading this piece. ❤

4. July 21, 2020 at 5:23 pm

Certainly caught the Van Gogh/bi polar reference (don’t know if that was where the blue iris thought came from/) Iliad (referencing battles through centuries). Interesting poem

• July 21, 2020 at 5:27 pm

AH, you caught it! As I was writing, I was thinking of Van Gogh a little. Hahaha.

Intriguing thoughts on this poem of mine. Thank you for your feedback and kind words. ❤

5. July 21, 2020 at 5:34 pm

You’re welcome, a pleasure. 🙂

6. July 21, 2020 at 5:50 pm

In your opening few lines I’m totally absorbed in the abstract context of these words…. and I’ve been jumbling them around in my head for an interpretation…. but I think the rocks in my head and the flowers growing out of my toes, still won’t stop me from condemning our modern societies lack of humanity …. 🤔😐

• July 21, 2020 at 5:53 pm

There is too much of a lack of humanity. Isn’t it sad when we are overly joyed when something good does indeed happen? Humanity can be beautiful and rotten, and we see the rotten appear more than the beautiful, I think.

Thank you for your feedback and thoughts. It’s always appreciated!

• July 21, 2020 at 6:11 pm

Yes Lucy, we are not shown enough of the good in humanity…. xx

July 21, 2020 at 6:03 pm

You definitely put me into an abstract frame of mind, as per De Vinvi, Van Gogh, Lewis Carroll, with a pinch of Stephen Hawking. The eternal question, Who are we? simple answer, both everything, with God within, or nothing, with emptiness within; pick one.

• July 21, 2020 at 6:08 pm

Thank you for your analysis. It is very interesting to read!

8. July 21, 2020 at 6:51 pm

Well done.

9. July 21, 2020 at 6:58 pm

I don’t know why I don’t write to prompts. I guess I’m just lazy.

10. July 21, 2020 at 7:19 pm

I love your take on revolution Lucy! From nature to history repeating, birth and death. It is all one big revolution. We live in a world of cycles 🙂

• July 21, 2020 at 9:04 pm

Thank you very much. I’m so glad you enjoyed this piece!

11. July 21, 2020 at 8:10 pm

For me, this is the interlocking of life and death, with the montages of the posy flowers with bones. Man of fate, is the one that chooses his own destiny and path.

Thanks for sharing Lucy.

• July 21, 2020 at 9:00 pm

That is an excellent analysis on my poem, and those themes are definitely there. Thank you for reading this, Grace.

12. July 21, 2020 at 8:22 pm

Great questions Lucy. As the song says, “All we are is dust in the wind…” Well done.

13. Grounds for Clarity
    July 21, 2020 at 10:42 pm

I could feel the words you chose knitting a clear and light dance across the front of the brain.

Beautiful piece and thank you for sharing.

Regards,
    Kim.

• July 21, 2020 at 10:50 pm

Thank you so much, Kim. I’m very glad to hear that!

14. July 21, 2020 at 10:44 pm

ahhh. i love the fluid flow and the way you cut the sentences, sometimes a word for a sentence. an effective take on the prompt!

15. July 22, 2020 at 3:31 am

Bones are a recurring motif in this poem, as if you want to take us right down to the basics and build from there. So many great images cascading through your words.

• July 22, 2020 at 3:34 am

That’s a great observation. Thank you for your lovely words and feedback!

16. July 22, 2020 at 6:18 am

I love the layout and the use of spaces in this poem, Lucy (evolve…e v o l v e), which help the poem to breathe, give it life. I like what you said about the Renaissance and Leonardo Da Vinci in your notes. Leonardo was fascinated by biology and the structure of the human body. My favourite lines:
    ‘the planetary motion
    and the blue iris
    petaled
    onto each white finger
    of mine,
    to the carcass
    of a paintbrush
    renaissance…’

• July 22, 2020 at 6:29 am

Thank you so, so much for your feedback! I’m very happy you enjoyed this piece. ❤️❤️

17. July 22, 2020 at 1:20 pm

The eternal question…where did we come from and where are we going? (K)

18. August 3, 2020 at 2:09 am

Wow! It’s intriguing the way your mind works!! Beautiful and brilliant writing as always.