trees and trees.

and the keel sea

swallows its feathers

in the furrow of air,

mouthfuls of offal

red, red

they eye, then eat;

then the womb in cold echoers

echoers of blood, blood sleep

such a last trawling

with a beak;

it is the sea

or death’s tide

with wings

vague, unlike white chickens

who have their heads gone off,

echoing the dying sunset

a wind of her moon, her wild eyes

another dying thing,

to trees and trees

when they’ll eat the worms, the worms.

Written for the dVerse prompt: Pen a poem that is about FLYING/FLIGHT (NOT FLEEING).

55 comments for “trees and trees.

1. July 28, 2020 at 4:04 pm

I like this!

2. July 28, 2020 at 4:07 pm

I love the depressive and melancholy tone to this work.

It reminds me of how things will end, eventually. Even the waves, the storm, the sun, the moon, seems to all descend, when once raised high.

It’s like all energy dies down, lowest to the level of that sea. And the worms… they are like fuel for the next growth, the next raising of something else, like how I see you wrote of the tree. It eats the worms.

🙂

• July 28, 2020 at 4:32 pm

I love your interpretation of this piece! That’s remarkable insight and I always enjoy reading your analysis.

I agree with you. I had in mind a cycle of life and death for this poem, but as well added with the concept of nature acting as is. There is no control over that; it’s instinct.

Thank you again for your thoughts. Much appreciated, friend. ❤️

3. July 28, 2020 at 4:09 pm

I love the image “dark littered eyes”

4. July 28, 2020 at 4:20 pm

haunting! i think a bird wrote this!

• July 28, 2020 at 4:29 pm

Thank you!

I’m totally not a bird or anything… 👀

5. July 28, 2020 at 4:27 pm

omg! excellent work!!!! I like it soooo much!!

6. July 28, 2020 at 4:30 pm

Beautifully penned as always, Lucy 💖🌸🦋

7. July 28, 2020 at 4:42 pm

I like the rich imagery of this, hovering just at the surface of the water until it moves on.

8. July 28, 2020 at 4:50 pm

I love this Lucy. You show such moodiness in this poem and your words carried me across the water with the birds 🙂

9. July 28, 2020 at 5:09 pm

I admire the darkness just hitting at the right notes. I specially love this part:

it is the sea
    or death’s tide
    with wings

• July 28, 2020 at 7:02 pm

Thank you, Grace. 💗 That was one of my favorite parts of this poem. So glad you could enjoy.

July 28, 2020 at 6:09 pm

You had me at “echoing the sunset–her wild eyes, another dying thing. There is just something sad about the albatross, and your poem expands to ape nature, and to feel its loss.

• July 28, 2020 at 7:01 pm

I’m so glad you liked that line. Thank you for your thoughts and feedback. 😃

11. July 28, 2020 at 6:10 pm

daunting darkness demonstrating the cycle of life … we end up disemboweled or eaten by worms, the cycle of nature …

• July 28, 2020 at 7:00 pm

Yes, I was really hoping I could communicate those themes in this poem; it seems I had. Thank you so much. ❤️

12. July 28, 2020 at 8:15 pm

kaykuala

such a last trawling with a beak;
    it is the sea or death’s tide
    with wings

Trawling the waters for a certain joy in survival tactics at sea. Apparently they are loners working alone, the whole scene just for themselves. Wonderful write Lucy.

Hank

• July 28, 2020 at 8:29 pm

Thank you so much, Hank. ❤ ❤

13. July 29, 2020 at 12:02 am

You always have great images in your poem, Lucy~
    this one caught my attention….
    , unlike white chickens
    who have their heads gone off,

echoing the dying sunset

14. July 29, 2020 at 1:18 am

I really love the eerie rhythm in this poem! Love this

• July 29, 2020 at 1:37 am

I’m so glad. Thank you for the feedback, Kate! ❤

15. July 29, 2020 at 2:39 am

I love the repetition in this poem, Lucy, like the sound of the sea and the heartbeat heard in the womb, and the description of the albatross ‘glued to the sea with / dark littered eyes’ ready to be devoured by it, bit by bit. There is darkness in this tale, especially the ‘last trawling with a beak’, but also beauty in the ‘dying sunset / a wind of her moon, her wild eyes / another dying thing’.

• July 29, 2020 at 2:45 am

Thank you so much for your thoughts, Kim. I’m so glad you enjoyed the repetition in this piece, and I’m grateful for your kind words. Thank you again. ❤ ❤

16. July 29, 2020 at 3:31 am

Nightmare or stream of consciousness? It’s certainly a dark tide flowing and ebbing, trees beating their wings. Lovely!

• July 29, 2020 at 7:30 am

I’d say both, Jane. 😃 Or rather, it’s a nightmare OF a stream of consciousness.

So glad you enjoyed this piece. I thank you greatly for the feedback and kindness.

17. July 29, 2020 at 6:39 am

A stark rendering. (K)

18. July 29, 2020 at 7:09 am

Nice imagery…

19. July 29, 2020 at 10:59 am

The repetition is like a tide ebbing and flowing. This has a melancholy feel of the inevitable–I guess the circle of life and death.

• July 29, 2020 at 2:49 pm

Yes, indeed the circle of life and death. It has a beginning but it never ends, it just keeps on going like a cycle. Thank you for your thoughts and feedback. ❤

20. July 29, 2020 at 11:05 am

I love the theme of red-blooded survival contrasted with the beauty of birds. A great poem!

21. July 30, 2020 at 10:02 am

Thank you for sharing! The albatross is actually my favourite bird. I love how they are so giant and yet gentle and not really predatory birds. They mate for life, live in exotic places, they’re incredibly independent and can sail the air for hours without moving their wings… Beautiful creatures, well deserving of a beautiful poem like this

• July 30, 2020 at 12:52 pm

Aww, thank you. Yes, I agree, they are very beautiful, majestic birds. They’re so lovely. ❤

22. July 30, 2020 at 8:09 pm

Your writing is somewhat complex to me but the visions I have from it are amazing. “Deaths tide with wings”. Beautiful writing.

23. August 1, 2020 at 8:35 pm

Feels like life’s journey into death. Stunning imagery in here,
    “ It is the sea

or death’s tide

with wings”

• August 1, 2020 at 8:41 pm

Thank you so much. I definitely did have that in mind, the transition of life to death as a journey or cycle.