fools of happiness.

slumber, my fingers pull
over mind, a drowning of us,
an open dance, mindlessness evermore;

winter’s wounds deny, disown madness,
it is afar from where we left, grieved,
the salvation into the abyssal tongue
alone, in thalassic sway

whilst we are fools of happiness.

Written for the dVerse prompt: Write a quadrille (a poem of EXACTLY 44 words, not including the title) AND include the word “happiness”.

64 comments for “fools of happiness.

1. November 2, 2020 at 3:23 pm

A dark kind of happiness, Lucy, in that open dance. Maybe dancing is the only way to forget one’s foolishness.

• November 2, 2020 at 3:57 pm

Thank you, Kim. I definitely agree. Whether a type of figurative dance or physical dance, I think it can be freeing for sure.

2. November 2, 2020 at 3:24 pm

I almost feel that fools of happiness are the result of medicine against all the darkness you describe before. Maybe we need to be numbed by the smile

• November 2, 2020 at 3:58 pm

That is very true! It can be hard to find happiness if in a dark place. Thank you so much for the feedback. ❤

3. November 2, 2020 at 3:26 pm

I like how the title becomes the ending….a circle…fools of happiness…an induced state?

• November 2, 2020 at 3:59 pm

Thank you! Happiness is a state of something, that’s all I know. 😉

4. November 2, 2020 at 3:36 pm

Ooh, now this is mesmerising. I guess that’s what happens to fools of happiness…

5. November 2, 2020 at 3:51 pm

To have that temporary respite, even foolishly, might be worth it.
    I can imagine people trying to find some joy in the midst of war.

• November 2, 2020 at 4:00 pm

It is worth it, even if it is a fleeting moment, it’s better to have it than never to have it at all (as I foolishly paraphrase Tennyson, hahaha).

• November 2, 2020 at 4:02 pm

Yes, you are right. And paraphrase all you want. 😀 I liked how there was so much condensed into this poem.

6. November 2, 2020 at 4:06 pm

What is happiness after all?

• November 2, 2020 at 4:54 pm

I think it can be a choice, at times. 🙂

• November 2, 2020 at 5:06 pm

We can certainly choose to ignore what ought to make us unhappy. Is that the same thing as choosing happiness? Asking for a friend 🙂

• November 2, 2020 at 6:43 pm

I don’t think so. I think choosing to ignore what makes us unhappy can be damaging–if it is ignoring, suppressing, or denying the existence of the issue and the issue itself that causes unhappiness.

I think the choice to happiness means recognizing these issues that often lead to unhappiness. I think it’s making a choice in trying to let go and be free in a moment, thus not letting what makes us unhappy plague us in that very moment. If choosing happiness, then it means that while a memory or situation can bother me, I have the power to let it change my perspective or it has the power to change my mood and my feelings.

I don’t think this is universal, of course. I think it’s rather subjective, since emotions themselves can be fleeting. It’s interesting to think about. 🙂

• November 3, 2020 at 4:12 am

If what makes you unhappy is beyond your control, like bush fires, terrorist attacks, exterminations of people and animals, changing perspective doesn’t help. I think an informed, humane person can’t ‘be’ happy amid the misery of others, they can only have brief flashes of happiness. Bringing everything down to the personal level as if that’s all that really matters ignores mass reality. That’s how I see it anyway.

November 2, 2020 at 4:11 pm

Poetess of Darkness has found levity and shards of light, peppered through a matrix of malaise, and hard truths. I liked “the salvation into the abyssal tongue alone”.

• November 2, 2020 at 4:54 pm

Thank you, Glenn!

8. November 2, 2020 at 4:33 pm

Oh to dwell in mindlessness forever! Only half joking 😦

9. November 2, 2020 at 4:46 pm

Happiness is never foolish. What else do we have?

• November 2, 2020 at 4:53 pm

Indeed, happiness is not foolish, but we can still be fools while happy. 🙂

10. November 2, 2020 at 4:47 pm

I pray you find happiness soon my lovely friend … hang in there!

• November 2, 2020 at 4:52 pm

Thank you so much, you’re very sweet. I have found happiness in my life in different ways. ❤

• November 2, 2020 at 5:03 pm

good, I hope it continues to grow … you deserve every happiness 🙂

• November 2, 2020 at 5:03 pm

Thank you, my dear friend. ❤ ❤ You deserve it all as well.

• November 2, 2020 at 5:07 pm

ah I know it’s my responsibility to tap into it as needed thanks Lucy … it’s not reliant on others or anything external, altho those factors can help 🙂

11. November 2, 2020 at 5:07 pm

I think happiness comes in the guise of many emotions and situations, and sometimes through foolish naiveté.

12. November 2, 2020 at 5:08 pm

A dark sad feeling of despair drip all over this one! Looking for happiness in all the wrong places…Not found in abysmal rhetoric…. It is down deep in side! Great poem.

• November 2, 2020 at 6:44 pm

Thank you, Dwight!

November 2, 2020 at 5:19 pm

My goodness this is good! Especially love; “winter’s wounds deny, disown madness, it is afar from where we left.”💝

• November 2, 2020 at 6:44 pm

Thank you so much, Sanaa. ❤ ❤

14. November 2, 2020 at 5:32 pm

Yeah Lucy, ‘the abyssal tongue / alone, in thalassic sway’ is a wondrous image – I picture deep in the ocean of night, down there words, grief, – while here on the surface we find some kind of respite, ephemeral and misguided (maybe). A Koala stamp for this one (that’s an Australian school teacher reference for you 🐨)

• November 2, 2020 at 6:45 pm

Peter, I’m very honored. Thank you very much!

15. November 2, 2020 at 8:33 pm

Maybe in the dreams of the slumber, sone happiness is hidden away

Happy Monday

Much💙love

• November 2, 2020 at 8:40 pm

That is true. Perhaps dreams and our subconscious mind can reveal the happiness from within. Thank you.

16. November 2, 2020 at 8:35 pm

I really like that this poem made me think about how we can “pull” happiness over our minds, like a choice, and I love the word thalassic in here ( you always teach me new words) 🙂 It’s a great image, floating above the pain. I think that is all of us in many ways. At least those of us that feel deeply. Nothing wrong with being happy fools!

• November 2, 2020 at 8:43 pm

Aww, thank you so much Tricia. I do believe happiness is a choice, and being a happy fool is always a nice thing. Seeing the optimism and letting go oneself, for me, is true happiness.

17. November 2, 2020 at 8:38 pm

A very thoughtful poem…touching.

18. November 2, 2020 at 8:41 pm

Beautiful

19. November 2, 2020 at 8:42 pm

Wow. This is a wonderful piece, Lucy. You are an absolute wordsmith!

20. November 2, 2020 at 8:45 pm

I love that you question happiness, as did I tonight Lucy. ‘Fools of Happiness’ Yes we can certainly be that many times over. A wonderful Quadrille ☺️💕

21. November 2, 2020 at 11:35 pm

I feel like you are pulling back the curtain on a fool’s dream and exposing the truth that it is really a nightmare! I love the line ‘alone, in thalassic sway’

22. November 3, 2020 at 1:17 am

love the phrase “fools of happiness”

23. November 3, 2020 at 4:27 am

I love the dream/Neptunian/illusory imagery here and of course the Greek reference to the sea, which may be oblivion. Such beauty expressed in sadness and loss, the human condition. Well done.

24. November 3, 2020 at 4:10 pm

Oh, the complications of love. I heard this in your words.

25. Muhammad Hussnain Nawaz
    November 7, 2020 at 5:02 am

The happiness is hidden away. I think this happens to fouls of happiness. The way you expressed this condition, that is totally Love 😍

• November 7, 2020 at 9:58 am

Thank you so much, Muhammad. I really love your interpretation of my poem here, and I did have some ideas like that in mind while writing. Thank you again for the kindness and feedback. 💕

• Muhammad Hussnain Nawaz
        November 7, 2020 at 11:18 am

Best of luck . May you have more success in future. ♥️

• November 7, 2020 at 1:38 pm

Thank you. ❤ ❤ You too.

26. Elizabeth
    December 2, 2020 at 9:44 am

You are so right, there are so many things that can rob you of your happiness.