Ice dark (the world is dreaming).

lie across the taurobolium

at the motherless spring

without feeling, without breath;

pale mulberries infiltrate the wind

in ice dark of obscured dreams

by the sea-green void, vanishing by the surf,

as the fresh dew slumbers in the whiteness of morning

exorcised with twigs of the dying trees.

flicker with the nightly, strange sea,

the augur bleeds madly onto the sand

behind the betrayed fog mire

these helpless longings, starved in the droplets of mist

in the solitude of each shadow that breaks each rock and stone

broken in its place like a fallen leaf lifeless in the stretch of dreaming,

expanded in the tarry blue in ancient loss, what it truly means to grieve,

shivering god-like, shivering emerging from a cocoon;

the robin’s nest is naked, violently absent, as it shutters across the viaducts,

blending with the past—the secrecy having gone, tormenting a breath

in the dark snow, a wound in the interstices, each winter returning

disappearing in another’s cruelty, remembrance; rejecting the kiss upon flesh

the wind retreats upon you, waving a leaf, the dance of a prelude in a whispering fear,

the world dreaming.

Reposted for the dVerse Open Link Night. It was so fun to listen to everyone read live and I am especially honored to have met you all during the live poetry reading. Happy Thanksgiving. 🙂

Post navigation

75 comments for “Ice dark (the world is dreaming).

1. April 9, 2020 at 9:37 am

aerie to the nest she flew
    as the chicks grew
    they still wanted food
    and were free to fly
    bush
    rush
    kush
    blood lust

• April 9, 2020 at 9:53 am

Beautifully penned. I really love the details in this one.

• April 9, 2020 at 9:54 am

thanks some from your lines and some from when i was a kid.

2. blindzanygirl
    April 9, 2020 at 12:40 pm

WOW Lucy. What amazing poetry. It is beautiful

• April 9, 2020 at 12:42 pm

Thank you! That means a lot to me. ❤

• blindzanygirl
        April 9, 2020 at 12:44 pm

You are SO welcome. You are an amazing poet. ❤️

• April 9, 2020 at 12:45 pm

😊 ❤

3. April 9, 2020 at 4:01 pm

Beautiful collection of phrases here

4. April 9, 2020 at 4:43 pm

Beautiful and devastating all at once! I love it!

5. April 9, 2020 at 9:20 pm

Very evocative. A favourite piece I’ve read today

• April 9, 2020 at 9:31 pm

Thank you so, so much! ❤

6. April 9, 2020 at 11:19 pm

Loved it

7. April 9, 2020 at 11:52 pm

Fantastic imagery!

8. April 10, 2020 at 1:49 pm

You vocabulary is amazing and the flow to this poem was a treat to the mind

9. May 28, 2020 at 8:11 pm

Vivid imagery, emotionally evocative, and for me very much a heartfelt poem…..
    “in the solitude of each shadow that breaks each rock and stone”

• May 28, 2020 at 8:15 pm

Aww, thank you so much Ivor. So glad you enjoyed this poem, and as always, I appreciate your feedback. Thank you. 🙂

• May 28, 2020 at 8:26 pm

And as always, entirely my pleasure….😀

10. May 29, 2020 at 5:04 am

Congratulations!

I have nominated your blog for the Awesome Blogger Award.

More about this nomination is at

11. May 29, 2020 at 8:14 am

Lovely imagery!

12. May 29, 2020 at 12:23 pm

This is so vivid and beautiful

13. May 31, 2020 at 5:15 am

I absolutely love this piece 💕

14. September 14, 2020 at 5:30 am

Wow 🤩

15. October 22, 2020 at 12:45 am

Didn’t understand anything but I support your work! Make a pleb like
    Me understand what you were trying to say

• October 22, 2020 at 2:15 am

Thank you. ❤️ This piece is easier to look at as a stream of consciousness than anything purely concrete. What I had in mind for this poem was the inner torment of grief, and how on the other end of emotions, there’s denial which can be delineated darkly as dreaming. I also included the imagery of the world “dreaming” when there’s so much grief manifested in life.

I hope that helps you understand the poem a bit better. I honestly write on emotion than meaning in mind, so trust me, I get confused in some areas of my poetry, thinking “What did I intend here? What did I mean with that line?”

Thank you so very much for the feedback. It’s greatly appreciated.

16. November 26, 2020 at 5:25 pm

Late November freezes the soil and soul this way, a nadir of absence we all must winter through. … the latin inflections (“taurobolium,” ‘viaduct”) somehow remind me of David Jones, who felt there was much a-dream in the long fields of language, which you tend so well. Humanity has been failing at this longing game a long time … It makes the mood almost paralyzingly fraught. Magical, too. Well done.

• November 26, 2020 at 7:12 pm

Thank you so very much, Brendan. Your feedback really impacted me as I share similar sentiments on: “Humanity has been failing at this longing game a long time.” It’s a game that can be like chess, we either understand the reality and the gravity it imposes or we do not; we then can be in denial of not only our senses, but the state of the world and the grief it can bring. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts, I enjoyed reading them greatly. Have a Happy Thanksgiving. 🙂

• November 28, 2020 at 9:40 am

We are this little spot of the
      World
      A spot within the
      Cosmos
      Aware of world and cosmos
      Spinning
      within us
      Failing long time
      To plan to be able
      to keep breathing,
      We are the world
      Dreaming,
      Where do we go
      When it
      wakes up?

November 26, 2020 at 6:15 pm

Stunning, stunning stream of consciousness flowing here, Lucy! 💝 I love; “flicker with the nightly, strange sea, the augur bleeds madly onto the sand.” 🙂

• November 26, 2020 at 7:12 pm

Thank you so very much, Sanaa. ❤ ❤

18. November 26, 2020 at 6:58 pm

The many words and images that comprise the feelings and accompany grief are so personal. Thank you for sharing yours.
    Wishing wellness,
    Ali

• November 26, 2020 at 7:13 pm

Thank you, Ali. ❤ ❤ Wishing wellness and health to you as well.

19. November 26, 2020 at 7:10 pm

I enjoy reading your poems about grief and death, as if you are always finding new ways to show your emotions.

This imagery to me is tragic: motherless spring and the robin’s nest is naked, violently absent, as it shutters across the viaducts. The spring season is beautiful, but death is always present when life takes a step forward from the dark snow.

• November 27, 2020 at 12:57 am

Thank you so very much, Grace. You are correct when you say that I try to find “new ways to show my emotions.” That is exactly what I aim in my poetry and I hope I have achieved it as you say. Thank you for the wonderful feedback!

November 26, 2020 at 7:13 pm

Don’t be shy, your poetry is dark and stunning, and no one else could read it aloud with your inflections and emotions. Still, it was wonderful to meet you. This piece seems to be your present style while still forming. SOC is a good key to enjoying your work. I ,can write that way, unfettered, unhinged, tennis with the net down, but have difficulty “reading” with such abandon. Your poetic gift is rare, and your poetics are always fascinating.

• November 27, 2020 at 1:00 am

Oh Glenn, little do you know I am chronically, devastatingly shy. Hahaha. Next time I will read, but it was wonderful to meet you as well! Yes, this piece was during a transitionary period in my poetry that I was still trying to work on. I thank you again for your lovely comments, they truly make my day and I appreciate them greatly. Thank you for your support. 🙂

21. November 26, 2020 at 8:33 pm

Spooky stuff! Sorry I missed the live event today, I would have liked to hear you read this.

• November 27, 2020 at 1:01 am

Hahaha, thanks! I actually did not read this during the live event, only opting to meet everyone and hear their beautiful poetry instead. 🙂 I am very shy, so I hope next time I find the courage to read aloud my work. Thank you, though.

22. November 26, 2020 at 8:56 pm

Love reading this as a stream of consciousness piece – wonderful how take an image – and empty robin’s nest – powerful in itself – and then extend it – ‘violently absent’ – and then further – so it’s like a note in this dirge. Also I’ve just started re-reading Ovid’s Metamorphoses – and the themes of transformation (often times painful or ridiculously disproportionate) – echo here.

• November 27, 2020 at 1:02 am

Thank you very, very much Peter!

23. November 26, 2020 at 10:32 pm

pale mulberries infiltrate the wind

in ice dark of obscured dreams

by the sea-green void

Wow! the ice dark of obscured dreams is where so many are wrapped up in their cocoons these days! Well done Lucy!

24. November 27, 2020 at 1:29 am

So, so beautiful, Lucy! It was great to e-meet you too. I’m thinking of holding a poetry challenge on free verse: would you mind if I recommend your site for an example of how to do it! Your work is breathtaking 🙏

• November 27, 2020 at 1:53 am

Thank you so very much, Ingrid, and I would be more than honored if you recommended my site. That makes me very happy and I thank you again for the kind words. ❤ ❤

25. silent poetry
    November 27, 2020 at 1:42 am

Beautiful Lucy, where have you come from girl. Love it ❤️

26. silent poetry
    November 27, 2020 at 1:42 am

Not sure why it sent twice sorry lol…

27. November 27, 2020 at 8:02 am

‘..shivering,,,god-like…emerging from cocoon…

Just a small, magnificent snippet from an overall outstanding work. Lucy.

• November 27, 2020 at 3:30 pm

Ron, thank you dearly.

28. November 27, 2020 at 8:02 am

You have made excellent use of hints of colour in this poem, Lucy, especially in ‘pale mulberries infiltrate the wind’, ‘sea-green void’ and ‘expanded in the tarry blue’, dotted among the ‘whiteness of morning’ and ‘exorcised with twigs of the dying trees’. I love how it links to the taurobolium in the ‘augur bleeds madly onto the sand’, baptism with the blood of a sacrificed bull – a horrific cult ceremony. I also love the phrase ‘tormenting a breath in the dark snow’, which made me shiver and pull my blanket tighter around me. I’m so glad you joined us for OLN Live!

• November 27, 2020 at 3:31 pm

Thank you so very much, Kim. I am glad I joined too, it was lovely to meet you all. 😀

29. November 27, 2020 at 12:39 pm

I’m sorry I missed “meeting” you. I really love this poem full of such gorgeous phrases and imagery. I know this is not what the poem is “about,” but in my mind, I saw a scene of dream worlds opening–or past and present meeting in dark and cold–sacrifices, altars, and priestesses. . . Anyway, quite a vivid scene. 😀

• November 27, 2020 at 3:32 pm

There’s always next time perhaps. 😉

Thank you so, so much Merril. I love what came to you when reading my poem. ❤

30. November 28, 2020 at 9:41 am

This is a beautiful stream Lucy.

31. November 28, 2020 at 3:27 pm

I really enjoy your SOC Lucy, and in one month, I am hoping you read one of your pieces — please! It would be such a pleasure to hear you. It was very nice on Thursday, to put a face to your name… 🙂
    FYI — About a decade ago, I published a site briefly under the pseudonym, WineDarkSea. The title of the site was “re-flect”. It featured 26 of my SOC pieces. Here is the address if you’re curious. https://winedarksea.wordpress.com/ It is now an archived, long- inactive site — so the comments are no longer active.

• November 28, 2020 at 8:07 pm

Thank you so much, Rob, and I will definitely try to read one of my pieces next time. You’re very kind!

Will also check out your site. 🙂

32. December 1, 2020 at 1:20 pm

Lucy, your post yesterday for abide did not come up when I clicked on it. Said it could not be found!
    dwight