Orgasmical tragedy.

she slips
to winter’s underclothing and embrace;
as if a prowl of death in the sun’s hands
is unseen to the bed of bruised gardenias.
taken into stone, of the poet, the wonders of silhouettes dancing
in orgasmical tragedy,
hypnotically then with shared suffering.

Written for the dVerse prompt: Write a quadrille with the word embrace in it.

58 comments for “Orgasmical tragedy.

1. February 8, 2021 at 3:59 pm

I love the title. I imagine some wild Victorian woman dancing about yelling that. 😀
    I also really like the image of “a prowl of death in the sun’s hands.”
    I not quite certain I completely understand the poem, but love and death, and orgasm is “the little death” . . .

• February 8, 2021 at 5:14 pm

“Orgasmical tragedy! Orgasmical tragedy! Orgasmical tragedy!” Hmm, yeah, I can see that! Can imagine it would be pretty unlady-like for a Victorian woman to say. How shameful! For how will she ever find a good husband now? 😁

Thank you so very much, Merril! I love how you see this poem. I wrote it with the thought how love can be beautiful but how it can also be devastating if that love is also based off of sharing miseries and being this type of parasitic relationship in each other’s toxins.

Great point about the little death and orgasm. I did not think of that originally!

February 8, 2021 at 3:59 pm

“the wonders of silhouettes dancing in orgasmical tragedy,” is such a strong and poignant image! 💝

• February 8, 2021 at 5:15 pm

Thank you, Sanaa!

3. February 8, 2021 at 4:00 pm

“Hypnotically” is the key word. Love it!

• February 8, 2021 at 5:15 pm

Thank you, I really wanted that one to stand out!

4. February 8, 2021 at 4:00 pm

This piece is beautiful to read yet there is that underlying sense of cruelty about it as well, as if the words are mirrored and the reflection shows the tarnish the words never will. Love it!

• February 8, 2021 at 5:17 pm

Oh yes, there are undertones of cruelty and toxicity. You are spot-on with your interpretation of my poem. Thank you so much for the beautiful comment. It means a lot, especially coming from you, a very talented poet. ❤

5. February 8, 2021 at 4:04 pm

I can really feel this; when even the shadows mock you with lustful dances… maybe that’s when you know you are utterly alone.

• February 8, 2021 at 5:17 pm

That is true. Thank you so much!

6. February 8, 2021 at 4:08 pm

Excellent title – it draws the reader in to what turns out to be a most tragic tale. The unfortunate heroine nevertheless is mourned in a spectacular poet’s song!

7. February 8, 2021 at 4:13 pm

It feels like a sisterhood of victims under a harsh glare of the sun. I could be way off on that. The poem has harshness as well as deep sadness to it from where I’m sitting.

• February 8, 2021 at 5:20 pm

I think any and all interpretations are correct. I myself value the opinion of the reader over the author’s. I personally had in mind the toxicity that a relationship can have, even if the love is strong. I love how you see this poem, and there definitely is a sadness to it as well. Thank you for your lovely feedback. ❤

8. February 8, 2021 at 4:16 pm

The bed of bruised gardenias is such a magical line of double meaning. Sweet but sorrowful. I enjoyed the melancholy of this quadrille.

• February 8, 2021 at 5:20 pm

Thank you so much. I’m glad you can enjoy this piece. ❤

9. February 8, 2021 at 4:47 pm

When the harshness of white winter dresses the flowers all they can do is… dance
    in orgasmical tragedy,
    hypnotically then with shared suffering.

Well done Lucy!

February 8, 2021 at 4:50 pm

“shadows dancing” “hypnotically” gives shape and motion to this dark piece. Orgasm has been a naughty pleasure for centuries. Thank Eros we are woke about it presently.

• February 8, 2021 at 5:20 pm

Thank you, Glenn, so much.

11. Masa
    February 8, 2021 at 6:13 pm

Genuinely love the language here. Reading the poem aloud has a particular pleasure to it, and I feel like if this is your general quality of writing, I’m going to enjoy following your works.

• February 8, 2021 at 6:34 pm

I would say this is how my writing generally is, but I will let you be the judge of that overtime. Thank you so much for your kindness and feedback. I do hope you enjoy the upcoming content. ❤ ❤

12. February 8, 2021 at 7:43 pm

Well, this lady wonders just how ‘orgasmical’ could be tragic …. Well done, Ms. Lucy.

• February 8, 2021 at 7:48 pm

Hahaha, that is true! Sort of like an oxymoron, now that I think about it. Thank you very much, Helen!

13. February 8, 2021 at 11:15 pm

Another masterpiece as only you can write them Lucy. This was magnificent – “as if a prowl of death in the sun’s hands
    is unseen to the bed of bruised gardenias” ☺️💕

• February 8, 2021 at 11:57 pm

Aww, thank you Christine.

14. February 9, 2021 at 12:48 am

The underlying sadness, and maybe a hint of toxicity, makes this such a beautiful verse.

15. February 9, 2021 at 1:43 am

Having read this several times, I still don’t feel wise enough to comment intelligently upon it, Lucy, but I do feel fairly humbled.

-David

• February 9, 2021 at 2:20 am

Man, David, if you feel humbled you have to imagine how I’d feel after reading your lovely comment! I feel deeply humbled and flattered that my poem could have such an effect. It’s just I know exactly what you describe especially as I see wonderful pieces by the writing community and to hear that, it’s wow. Thank you so much for your feedback. ❤ ❤

Kol Tuv, my friend!

16. February 9, 2021 at 2:13 am

your choice and arrangement of words never cease to amaze me, toxic relationship by using ‘winter’ ‘bruised’ ‘suffering’ … an unhealthy relationship damages

• February 9, 2021 at 2:33 am

Aww, thank you Kate. I really wanted to emphasize what an unhealthy relationship does and the toxicity in it as well. Thank you so very much for your kind words. ❤

• February 9, 2021 at 7:03 am

you did that well, I prefer to spend more time with like-minded people! Toxicity poisons at every possible level 😦

17. February 9, 2021 at 3:17 am

I love this, Lucy, especially the way you play with words, such as ‘slips’ (also women’s undergarments), and the image of that ‘bed of bruised gardenias’ and the ‘silhouettes dancing in orgasmical tragedy’. It reminds me a little of Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters, a Victorian tale of repressed sexuality.

• February 9, 2021 at 3:29 am

Ah, thank you so very much Kim! I now have to check out that Victorian tale.

18. February 9, 2021 at 9:16 am

Such tragedy – “then with shared suffering”, potent.

19. February 9, 2021 at 10:27 am

Wow! Dynamite title! Evocative piece in shades of darkness.

20. February 9, 2021 at 5:37 pm

Love the title and the idea of a fallen relationship behind all the poetic images. “Bruised gardenias” is a stirring image. ✨

• February 9, 2021 at 8:04 pm

Thank you so much. That’s exactly what I wanted to convey. ❤ ❤

21. February 12, 2021 at 2:48 am

Hello there
    Its Gunjan Rathor this side.
    Author of ‘The First Steps’ book and co-author of two more books. Presently in 12th standard PCB student. From Raipur, CG India
    Right now we are preparing for an anthology and came to Know that you are a good writer. It will be great to see you joining us
    If you want I can send you more details

22. February 15, 2021 at 2:33 pm

A bed of bruised gardenias……this is a STUNNING image!
    The gardenia has always been a favorite flower of mine….as a high school and university student, if ever I were to receive a corsage for a dance, I always asked for a gardenia. And how quickly they became damaged with the wearing….bruised is the perfect word for what happened to them….even when untouched, once upon the wrist.