snake and seamstress.

damp upon the tree’s beckoning,
my feet bleed and kiss the ground
upon you, sprouting from
silhouettes; it beguiles
the hassock leaves, hidden
in an accident of rain-fall.

Without the fools
in airstreams of halcyon when roots
pinch my fingers, uncurling
like a dagger; a bean fed from the poet’s
words or buckling swords,

I could too grow in the dirt,
leaving with the rain, a wind
to itch along my spine, seeping
to the bygone lace, a blue eye,
to unspeaking; in the stone
of this smile, the gardenia
whores my snake and seamstress,
birthing, which grows, the earth.

Written for the dVerse prompt: Let’s take fungi as our starting point tonight.

25 comments for “snake and seamstress.

1. Masa
    February 9, 2021 at 5:35 pm

Good heavens, Lucy. I realize as I’ve been holding my breath as I read and reread these words, that you’ve certainly been blessed with some fortune in rhetoric. Please continue to share in this wealth, providing such vivid poetry so as to inspire even this stone to bleed.

• February 9, 2021 at 7:49 pm

Oh wow, I must thank you greatly for your words. This is really encouraging to hear and I’m going to save this when I need that good kick to write again in the future; burnout is a pain when it hits. Thank you, thank you so very much for your lovely comment. It really means a lot. ❤ ❤

2. February 9, 2021 at 5:53 pm

Lucy in the sky with diamonds of hallucinogenic, mind-swirling verse. Better than psilocybin — well, close maybe. Also easier on this old man’s psyche. Love your stuff! FYI: A “Armillaria Ostoyae” mushroom, in the Malheur National Forest, in the Strawberry Mountains of eastern Oregon, was found to be the largest fungal colony in the world, spanning an area of 3.5 square miles (2,200 acres; 9.1 km2).

• February 9, 2021 at 7:50 pm

“Better than psilocybin — well, close maybe.”

I could only hope to live up to that. 😄 Thank you so much!

And wow, that’s pretty interesting. Thank you for the fun fact!

3. February 9, 2021 at 6:31 pm

There’s everything to admire in this, everything.

• February 9, 2021 at 7:51 pm

Aww, I don’t know what to say. Thank you very much, Misky! ❤ ❤

February 9, 2021 at 6:44 pm

“Everybody must get high”, sayith Bob Dylan. “Amelia, it’s only a state of mind”, Joni Mitchell. Your work really cranks me up, spinning my synaps, lighting flames under my Id. You always please the demons under the skin, morphing darkness into a sun-splashed landscape, where the brooks bubble with blood, and the clover gets cranky. I liked, “it beguiles the hassock leaves” and “without the fools in in stream of halcyon”.

• February 9, 2021 at 7:52 pm

Thank you so very much, Glenn! My poetry aims to please. 😂

5. February 9, 2021 at 8:18 pm

To me this feels like a spin on “to be or not to be”…. a fungi. Existentialism but without angst.

6. February 10, 2021 at 4:03 am

So much to love about this poem, Lucy. Oh, to be ‘hidden in an accident of rain-fall’! I love the image of ‘a bean fed from the poet’s words or buckling swords’, fairy-tale-like and surreal, and the thought of growing in the dirt, ‘leaving with the rain’.

7. February 10, 2021 at 4:52 am

Ah, the dark voice of the fungus, groping through darkness below and thrusting into darkness above. Very atmospheric.

• February 10, 2021 at 11:26 am

Thank you so much!

8. February 10, 2021 at 5:44 am

I think this prompt was made for you, Lucy! All that earthiness, the roots, the combination of birth and decay: these are strong themes in your work and you have blended them seamlessly here. I love all of it, but my favourite lines are these:
    ‘it beguiles
    the hassock leaves, hidden
    in an accident of rain-fall.’

9. February 10, 2021 at 2:24 pm

The title of snake and seamstress makes me think of Eve and being expelled from Eden… maybe the fungi below is the one that humanity got entangled in, and not any forbidden fruit.

• February 10, 2021 at 2:45 pm

Excellent observation!

10. February 11, 2021 at 4:22 am

Lovely — no, divine — portalling of the mushroom below and within. – Brendan

• February 11, 2021 at 8:14 am

Thank you so much!

11. February 11, 2021 at 8:45 pm

All the metaphorical juxtapositions just tell of the paradoxes that fill our lives, like “birthing, which grows the earth.”

12. February 16, 2021 at 7:54 am

This poem is brilliantly written!!❤❤❤