A tea cup.

Our Cartesian push,
an elk is seduced by the killer,
an elk is the killer; these rites of blood
are the only passage.

persimmon leaves fall,
the tea cup shatters only once

you’re there
when the tea cup cannot come together
as it was;
THE PHONOI would be proud
in our mirrors

it grows, the first furrow
in the skin of the red dragon
anathema to god,
it doesn’t matter. Blood-fest,
an art, the harvesting upon the woman’s hair,

you forgive me
and we tench to the water
we fall.

Our mind-palace,
THE PHONOI would be proud
of our mirrors.

Written for the dVerse prompt 5/4/21: The challenge is to write a poem in the voice of a fictional character.

I chose to write about my favorite cannibal, Hannibal. At least the NBC version.

26 comments for “A tea cup.

1. May 4, 2021 at 11:25 pm

the tea cup shatters only once

you’re there
    when the tea cup cannot come together
    as it was

This is a great line Lucy!

2. May 5, 2021 at 12:22 am

I see from your explanation this is Hannibal and understand better now why THE PHONOI would hang around him, as they are the Greek spirits responsible for murders, etc. I haven’t seen the NBC version of Hannibal but I think I would decline tea with him. He is a great one to analyze though, and I do love your line, “you forgive me and we tench to the water we fall.”

3. May 5, 2021 at 1:58 am

THE PHONOI would be proud indeed of your bloodthirsty response to this prompt! There’s so much in this, and accompanied by the dark soundtrack, it’s mesmerising. From

‘it grows, the first furrow
    in the skin of the red dragon
    anathema to god,’

to the ending

‘Our mind-palace,
    THE PHONOI would be proud
    of our mirrors.’

I’m thinking of dark mirrors which reflect murderous desires. There is something Lynchian about this poem Lucy, which I hope you will take as a compliment!

4. May 5, 2021 at 8:20 am

“The tea cup shatters only once.”
    What an earthshakingly powerful line!
    Love this!

5. May 5, 2021 at 12:10 pm

Dear Lucy,
    My daughter’s a big “Hannibal” fan and I used her to explain the imagery to me (she loved how you invoked the shows memorable images): the tea cup coming back together (Will and Hannibal), Will’s elk dream of Hannibal, and the mind palace where all of Hannibal’s “exotic” memories thrive. But the simple phantasmagorical images held in a tea cup are alone and without interpretation a heady, menacing brew.

~🕊Dora

• May 5, 2021 at 12:12 pm

Oops, Slash and cut that last statement from something else! I really should proofread before I post! 🙄

• May 5, 2021 at 12:52 pm

Aww, thank you so much. I’m glad you both could enjoy this piece. ❤️

I absolutely loved Hannibal and the tea cup line/metaphor he used stuck with me. It would be a crime not to include it. That show is truly psychological horror, got me hooked by episode three.

6. May 5, 2021 at 2:23 pm

I’ve never seen the show, but I can imagine any death gods would thrill at Hannibal’s actions–and the poem.
    I understand what Lucy said about Lynchian. There’s a dreamy, surreal feel, and I can imagine a dancing dwarf and red curtain along with your tea cup. 😀

7. May 5, 2021 at 3:31 pm

I have listened a lot to true-crime podcasts and some of the real murderers were a lot like Hannibal… it’s a dark place to go into the mind of the blood-thirsty minds, and eating your victim make me think of vampires as well.

• May 5, 2021 at 4:08 pm

It really is a dark place to go into. I’ve watched my fair share of true crime, and it’s sickening how many “Hannibals” exist.

May 5, 2021 at 5:19 pm

The first season of NBC Hannibal was terrific. I think there was a Season II which lost its edge. The red dragon imagery is true to the book and movies. I enjoyed your “dark” pen, as always.

• May 5, 2021 at 5:48 pm

Thank you so much, Glenn!

I agree with you. Season two was a bit slow for me, but I think season three made up for it in terms of pace and edge. At least, the latter half of it did imo.

9. May 5, 2021 at 8:55 pm

I have not watched the show but I have an idea of its darkness. I so enjoyed reading the blood-fest, an art, in your hands.

10. May 6, 2021 at 2:19 pm

Excellent Lucy, so well written, as usual. Dark and wonderfully eerie…

May 6, 2021 at 2:31 pm

This is beautifully haunting, Lucy! 😀 You had me at “persimmon leaves fall, the tea cup shatters only once.” Just woww!! 💝💝