new moon

leaving
death of all silhouettes
when the new moon

born of lured tragedies
outstretched to kill
itself; the roots my shame

winter of the flowers, if I loved,
then they should
fall to my feet

in wastrel-fragility
guiding memorial bones
to the knees of the garden

Reposted for the 2/18/2021 dVerse Open Link Night.

Reposted 5/27/2021.

35 comments for “new moon

1. January 25, 2021 at 7:41 am

Oh this is so wonderful!

2. January 25, 2021 at 11:27 am

wow. these words mesmerize. their intricate sadness leaves me speechless. so good! thank you for sharing them…

3. Gabby L
    January 25, 2021 at 8:10 pm

Oh my gosh your poetry is absolutely breathtaking!! You’ve developed a style I haven’t seen much from you (probably because I’m extremely behind on the blogs xD) of shorter pieces that have an unusual yet perfectly fitting flow. It’s amazing!
    “winter of the flowers, if I loved,
    then they should
    fall to my feet”

The visualization of this is absolutely stunning. “Winter of the flowers” alone paints such a beautiful, delicate imagery of something beautiful (like flowers strong enough to survive a cold Winter) But the warmth that love provides in the line, “if I loved” just isn’t enough to keep the flowers alive and they end up succumbing to the cold of Winter. I don’t believe this is what you meant by this particular stanza (or maybe it was, I’m not sure) but that’s how I interpreted it and it’s absolutely beautiful to me. The whole piece is so raw and open to interpretation- just gorgeous. So proud of you!! The site is absolutely amazing and I’m in awe of the amount of followers and viewers you’ve obtained!! You’re awesome girlie ❤

• January 25, 2021 at 8:30 pm

Hahaha! Aww, thank you. Yeah, this is relatively new for the most part, the shorter pieces. I think I told you (not sure though if I have) I’ve been doing a poem a day challenges on Twitter, so that’s why they are so short. Only so many characters a poet butchers..

“But the warmth that love provides in the line, “if I loved” just isn’t enough to keep the flowers alive and they end up succumbing to the cold of Winter.”

It amazes me how much you just get my poems, especially with the nuances I hide and weave in there. That’s truly remarkable and frankly, no one else has done that. ❤ ❤ The figurative branch there lends itself to the abandonment of knowing a sort of love is selfish to the point that it can’t survive. And you hit the nail on the head on why, it just isn’t enough to keep the flowers alive.

I thank you for everything, your thoughts and feedback, your encouragement and just… everything. You’re so very kind and sweet. ❤

• Gabby L
        January 25, 2021 at 8:35 pm

Yes I remember you telling me that! Girl I can’t believe you’re keeping up with it! I know I certainly couldn’t XD Bravo!!

Ahhh yay!! I’m so happy I could understand it for the most part! I just want to point out how even your comments are absolutely poetic and rich in detail. “a sort of love is selfish to the point that it can’t survive.” I mean- just wow. Breathtaking.

And girl you don’t need to thank me, I absolutely love to read your poetry. It feels as if I’m looking at the world through a different set of lens when I do. It’s wonderful ❤

• January 25, 2021 at 8:44 pm

I admit, I may have skipped a few days due to burnout. 😅

Aww, thank you so much. I haven’t even thought of that, but I’m glad you think they sound like that. Seriously when I comment, it’s just basically my mind free-flowing and rambling, and I’m just putting it down on the page like word diarrhea.

Awww, that’s so kind of you to say. I think you said you’re not really doing any writing lately, but you can always hit me up to look at and analyze your work and your art too. I want to return the favor when given the chance. ❤ I feel the same about your work, it’s a mirror to another world, maybe even this one but it’s greater, that shows its intrinsic values and rawness in nature and elements.

• Gabby L
        January 25, 2021 at 9:28 pm

Haha! Thats completely understandable honestly, I would do the same too xD

Girl your comments are always so thoughtful though! Even if it is a quick ramble, everything you say comes out perfectly!

Awww definetly! I’ve been wanting to write more lately actually, I’ve been in a ‘poetic’ mood haha!

• May 22, 2021 at 12:25 am

Thank you for sharing.

4. January 30, 2021 at 3:27 am

Nice blog

• January 30, 2021 at 4:24 pm

Thanks for checking it out.

5. January 30, 2021 at 11:40 am

I read this several times. Thank you for sharing and for dropping by my blog. I can tell that I will like it here based on this post.

February 18, 2021 at 4:48 pm

Wow, wow, wow! 💝 As always I am blown away by your use of stunning imagery 😀 especially; “if I loved, then they should
    fall to my feet in wastrel-fragility guiding memorial bones to the knees of the garden.”

• February 18, 2021 at 6:50 pm

Thank you. ❤ ❤ ❤

7. February 18, 2021 at 10:33 pm

vivid

8. February 19, 2021 at 3:48 am

Stunning, Lucy! I love the way ‘death of all silhouettes’ and the ‘knees of the garden’, shook me with their ambiguity and took me off on a trip of my own.

9. February 19, 2021 at 10:57 am

Your poem feels timeless, almost Shakespearean in tone. Cheers.

• February 19, 2021 at 11:48 am

Thank you so very much!

10. February 21, 2021 at 4:02 am

‘death of all silhouettes’, ‘Winter of the flowers’, just these two phrases could be two stand alone ‘4 word poems’ and still they’d be wonderful! I had read your poem before but today I read it with more concentration with classical music playing in the headphones and enjoyed each and every image! Lovely poetry, Lucy (^_^)

• February 21, 2021 at 4:34 am

Thank you so very much, Jay! I am flattered.

11. February 21, 2021 at 4:10 am

when the new moon
    born of lured tragedies
    outstretched to kill itself;

Love the sequential take of the short life of moonshine and your description Is just fantastic, Lucy.

Hank

• February 21, 2021 at 4:34 am

Thank you, Hank!

12. February 21, 2021 at 11:13 am

I see a lot of winter imagery in this poem… like how death is there with you… reminds me of how “The secret garden” began…remember that it may be better with spring.

13. February 22, 2021 at 1:35 pm

Such beautiful imagery, Lucy! So many beautiful lines “winter of the flowers.”
    The new moon always seems sad to me, and this seems a poem of grief and loss–just as the new moon perhaps loses its full splendor.

14. May 27, 2021 at 7:57 am