A thorn in her side.

If I was the poet with a thorn in my side,
I was; I brought another drop
	from the gardens on these hands
		and this body of stone;

I ripen
			in her arms
		I bleed in the wind to hide
	like a coward; the moon-born bedsheets call,
	twisting vines in the thorns of youth
		until I was the woman; if yet I remember
			the gathered words in the dirt
				I smeared them over and over
			onto my knees; a burnout sun,
				a poor daughter in her white lies
			to push in either death or pride,
whichever comes first
	I never knew it well;
I’m only what I came to be in the summer
death-bed, a void in the wind simply eating all the flowers;
my eyes closed
I didn’t remember falling asleep

the opus curves around gravitas
 	an open-mouthed voice to gardens swimming through my dreams;
wasn’t I
	always billowed within my lies
I feast then for the rock-roots of childhood
instead of the thorn.

© 2021 lucysworks.com All Rights Reserved

Written for the dVerse MTB circular prompt 3/25/21.

Reposted 5/30/21.

41 comments for “A thorn in her side.

1. March 25, 2021 at 3:14 pm

Lucy, as ever an intriguing layered write with lots to like: here’s a few – ‘I ripen’ is a terrific line all on its own – ambiguous but also proud in its isolation. I also liked ‘the opus curves around gravitas’ – a sly wry line – and, if I take your meaning – the poem is optimistic – saying look beyond those thorns that have hurt you, to the things – like childhood – that nurture and anchor you. Great stuff.

March 25, 2021 at 3:28 pm

I so love, love the hopeful note in this richly woven circular poem, Lucy 😀 Especially; “I didn’t remember falling asleep/the opus curves around gravitas/an open-mouthed voice to gardens swimming through my dreams.”💝💝

3. March 25, 2021 at 3:36 pm

This poem has a wonderfully gyrating shape, Lucy! I love the way it circles on a thorn, the islated line ‘I ripen’, the phrase ‘moon-born bedsheets’ and the image of the ‘the gathered words in the dirt’ being smeared onto knees. These lines made me think of the end of girlhood and the beginning of womanhood:
    ‘I’m only what I came to be in the summer
    death-bed, a void in the wind simply eating all the flowers;
    my eyes closed
    I didn’t remember falling asleep’.

4. March 25, 2021 at 3:36 pm

I really love this–definitely one of my favorites of yours! I keep reading it over, as it seems to reveal more each time. I love the repetition and the changing line lengths and punctuation. The realization that there is strength within, perhaps we all have thorns and roots.

5. March 25, 2021 at 3:42 pm

This is marvellous Lucy, I feel I could read it over and over and get something new from it each time, so perfect for a circular poem, because it makes you come back for more!

6. March 25, 2021 at 4:38 pm

A wonderful piece of poetry, one of your best… love how you came back to the thorn, but after a journey through darkness, you come back to a more optimistic place.

7. March 25, 2021 at 4:53 pm

This is so insightful, Lucy: “I didn’t remember falling asleep”.

8. March 25, 2021 at 6:24 pm

Oh Lucy I swear you are from another time or you are channeling someone from the past. This is so beautiful and I find I am reading it over and over ☺️💕 This was my favorite part:

“I ripen
    in her arms
    I bleed in the wind to hide
    like a coward; the moon-born bedsheets call,
    twisting vines in the thorns of youth
    until I was the woman; if yet I remember
    the gathered words in the dirt”

Exquisite! ❤️

9. March 25, 2021 at 6:30 pm

Ah those thorns, looking for someone to latch on to…

10. March 25, 2021 at 6:50 pm

Such wonderful lines you create Lucy, and woven together so fantastically, to create verse of a dreamland of hard, soft, dark, light, frightening, alluring, erotic, neurotic, sad, joyful, and more — all the textures of that place the mind wonders, when loosed to take its own journey. I love your stuff from silver-white, to vivid red — and every hue and shade that unfolds in the reading.

11. March 25, 2021 at 7:53 pm

The summer death bed intrigued me… and white lies …. to push in either death or pride…. Sounds like a thorny childhood and all the way through life…

12. March 25, 2021 at 8:01 pm

I think it does sound like a thorny childhood here, and “always billowed within my lies” sounds like even in the sun you still feel hidden with the lies. I’m not sure I feel all the optimism others do in this piece, but maybe a coming to terms with it. This poem is certainly intriguing and full of thought provoking imagery!

• March 25, 2021 at 9:29 pm

I think it can go both ways for sure. Thank you so very much!

13. March 25, 2021 at 10:32 pm

The comfort of childhood, the thorns of youth when poetry blooms most blood-red, and tge white lies of adulthood — yet but for the poetry, it’s the cradle one longs for, perhaps the cradle of words themselves. What wonderful writing, Lucy! You’ve outdone yourself.

14. March 26, 2021 at 5:43 am

Torture here has a delicious billowy edge, defying the wedge which seems constant in its aim to eviscerate and bleed. Love is such a willowy defiance, as is the dream …

15. April 5, 2021 at 5:31 pm

Wow some really beautiful poetry, will definitely be following to read some more of your work, I can only imagine how good it is 🙂

16. May 29, 2021 at 5:03 pm

Really relateble I just started my own travel blog and then covid hit and I could not travel anymore from my country. No travel planning for me at all 😦

• May 29, 2021 at 6:12 pm

I’m really sorry to hear that. Covid put a dent in lot’s of plans, but maybe there will be some travel planning late next year? Hopefully by then there will be less restrictions and lesser impact of the virus around the world.